– Blue-tongued skink are the largest reptile family members, which are located in Australia. Its blue tongue grows about 17 to 24 inches. The blue tongue skink is a unique pet because of the color of its blue tongue, because it is distinguished by birth instead of bleaching like other lizards.
-The blue tongue skink is one of many species of lizards spread across the globe. It is a very special skink characterized by fearlessness. It is rare to find an skink with a blue tongue that is afraid. It is a very intelligent and easy-to-control animal. And from good pets easy to breed, and can be manipulated by the children even, and it is better that you want to raise them to take it is still small, and very easy to instill in the same owner some routine couse of it is a very strange skink, but it Like other lizards, you have to deal with them very well, because it is easy to consider your hand prey especially if they are unusual to provide food, and this skink is very regional so it is best to be raised in small groups, also find there is an aggressive blue tongue skink More than the other, and is characterized by the lizardss as described , As is known from the name of the skink with the blue tongue, it comes out its blue tongue whenever it feels dangerous, and even this method is used to scare off potential predators., And has a long body and small legs.
Table of Contents
- *Where to find:
- *Size, physical features and egg laying:
- *Where do blue tongue skink live :
- *How to keep it as a pet :
- *The risk of blue tongue skink on humans :
- *What is best food for blue tongue skink:
- Best Food for Blue Tongue Skink in the market 2020
*Where to find:
The skink is the blue tongue of the lizards that are present in each of the uninhabited areas of New Guinea, and the majority come from the regions of Australia and some of the island of Tasmania. They occupy several habitat types of desert climate, tropical savannah, and tropical forest. They are often in mountainous areas.
Blue tongue skink are found in most parts of Australia. These skinks live in open areas with plenty of vegetation such as tussocky grass or foliage. These skink hide at night in the leaves, in the burrows, and under large objects on the ground, such as rocks and logs. Early in the morning, the blue tongue skink appears as it climbs in sunny areas to seek food through the warmer parts of the day. Like all reptiles, the blue tongue skink does not produce heat from their bodies , it relies on the warmth of their surroundings to raise the body temperature. The blue tongue skink’s body temperature is about 30-35 degrees when it is active.
*Size, physical features and egg laying:
There are no real traits between males and females, of course, in adulthood, males will tend to be slightly larger than females but this feature can be misleading. We also find that the tail is larger in males than females, Between 40 and 50 centimeters, they are also land lizards that prefer to live on land and in semi-desert environments.
The spring season is the preferred period for this type of lizard to mate. The female puts a number of young children between 10 and 25 years old after a gestation period of up to 4 months and we are young because they are lizards that keep their eggs in their belly until they hatch and lay The average age of this type of lizard is about 20 years.
*Where do blue tongue skink live :
Blue tongue skink live alone for more than a year, but between September and November occurs mating between males and females. Females give birth after three to five months of mating, that is, between December and April. The blue tongue skink is up to 25 on a scale of 130-140 mm in total length and weighs 10-20 g. Blue tongues have a long life, many of them may live in captivity for 20 years.
*How to keep it as a pet :
The skink has the blue tongue like other types of lizards , which are popular among many people for breeding, but it is good to provide a place of education not less than the minimum size of 40 gallons, because the lizards of the ground they require a lot of space. We should also provide sand or wood chips at the bottom, and non-high branches should be placed because they are from the land lizards and some rocks in the breeding area to enhance habitats. We have to provide some of the bunkers, and you should provide a basin of water not too large for a shower of about 10 gallons, and must provide heat lamp and ultraviolet lamp and these two factors are essential for the breeding of all types of lizards, and to avoid the temperature drop a lot During the night, either placing the heating pad or introducing the lamp at night is not necessary. The two heaters should be turned off for heating at night. The appropriate hot temperature ranges from 32 ° C to 38 ° C, Ranging from 25 ° C to 28 ° C The temperature of the room is about 20 ° C. The humidity is relatively low. A small dish of water is enough to do this, sprinkling some warm water in the breeding area.
Unfortunately, the blue tongue skink eats the poisonous snails and mollusks, so you can get poison and kill. Caution should be exercised in the use of snail bait and insects as they can affect the blue tongue skink. Young blue tongue skink are easy prey for dogs and cats in the suburbs, as well as for birds of prey such as kookaburras. Most small blue tongue skink live in suburban gardens, perhaps not reaching puberty. There are a few adults who are also killed by large dogs, although there are thick bone sheets of adults to protect them from many animal bites.
*The risk of blue tongue skink on humans :
A senior bite blue tongue skink can cause pain, cleft skin and bruises but does not contain a poison, so its effect will go away in the long term.
-This type of lizards can be easily grown and has a wide popularity among those interested in reptile breeding for easy breeding. A basin such as that used for snakes is equipped with a wooden saw, some decorations, heating and a large basin of water, as this orchid likes to shower a lot.
*What is best food for blue tongue skink:
– The blue tongue skink relies heavily on vegetables and fruits, equivalent to 60% of its food and 40% of the meat. It is preferable to use the food for cats. For vegetable foods, vegetables such as lettuce, fruits, bananas, plums and others can be added.
– The Blue Tongue skink has a wide variety of plants and animals. Blue tongue skink is not agile, while slow-moving animals eat. Their teeth are large and have strong muscles for jawing so they can crush snails and beetles.
– Like this lizard to eat small stones to help them digest food.
-Rich in essential vitamins that help healthy growth of the blue tongue lizard.
* below are some foods that you can get for your little blue tongue skink in the market :
Best Food for Blue Tongue Skink in the market 2020
#1-Fluker’s 72023 Bearded Dragon Medley Reptile Treat:
If you want to feed the lizard full food and contains all the ingredients you should get this product from the site of Amazon, which contains a distinctive combination of the blue tongue blue, which is rich in essential protein, minerals, vitamins A ,b and fats.
#2- (3 Can Pack) Zoo Menu Tegu and Monitor Canned Food :
– This product will be a very suitable option to be a rich and useful food for the blue tongue skink because it is rich in chicken and soy and provides a high level of protein needed by lizard blue tongue and other reptiles.
#3- LIVE (100) Mealworms – Organically Raised – Plus 10% extra & Free Food:
-This product is a basic and healthy food for the blue tongue lizard and many other reptiles, which are clean clean worms,
-Rich in essential vitamins that help healthy growth of the blue tongue lizard.
#4-Pangea Fruit Mix With Insects Crested Gecko Complete Diet 1/2 lb :
– If you are looking for a good calcium and vitamin source for the blue tongue lizard this product will certainly be appropriate,This product consists of a wonderful mixture of insects and bananas making it a great source of protein also suitable for all types of reptiles.
#5-Fluker’s Freeze-Dried Crickets:
– Cockroaches are the main food on which the blue tongue skink is nourished in nature and it would be good to have this wonderful product that will allow you to feed your pet his favorite food without having to catch him, and it will be a good addition to their daily system.
*The Blue Tongue lizard is one of the easiest reptiles anyone can make a pet because of its main reason, because it feeds on almost everything. It eats fruits, vegetables, meat, and chicken. Never ask yourself what you want to feed your blue tongue skink .